Thursday, May 31, 2012

Here we are in Bonn.  It has been an entire year since I last posted on this blog.  My last two blog entries "Our last week in Bonn" and "Berlin" are still in draft. So so much has happened since then, but maybe I'll talk about that later.  But for now...

Here we are in Bonn again.  Oh! How I love Bonn.  I have told Bruce several times that I could easily live here.   There is a comfortable steady rhythm to life here.  It is so good to be back.  I guess it doesn't hurt that the weather is GORGEOUS - sunny and breezy.



As the boys and I were off to the grocery store to prepare for the two day holiday (stores are normally closed on Sundays, but will also be closed on Monday, the day after Pentecost), I was so aware of how being in Bonn heightens the senses.  There was a sweet smell in the air from the Haribo Gummy Bear factory blocks away.  Quite frequently we must endure the smell of freshly baked bread or pastries  while waiting for the tram to arrive.  Andrew was holding his nose this morning.  He said, "The smell of those pastries makes me want them."   The bells of St. Nikolaus chime every 15 minutes, keeping track of the passing hours.  The Saturday morning shoppers and bikers (SOOO many bikers, old and young) going here and there.  There were so many people this morning with beautiful bouquets of  newly purchased fresh-cut flowers

It is so exhilarating to not have to get into a car to go anywhere.  Everything we need or want is either within walking distance or a short 15 minute tram ride to the Zentrum (city center).





I haven't been taking as many photos this time.  this year finds me less in a tourist mode and more in an "experiencing" kind of mode.  As in just enjoying the short time I have to experience a more relaxed, simplified way of life.





No comments:

Post a Comment