Sunday, February 6, 2011

To Dye or Not to Dye

I will reach the tender age of 44 this month.  Wow!!  In so many respects (and sometimes maturity level), I still feel like I am in my twenties.  With the recession finally hitting Texas, and therefore my little household, and Christmas having just passed, our bank account has been on the low side.  As a result, I was forced to cancel my hair appointment.  This may not seem like such a big deal.  Some of you may be thinking, "what a luxury to have a regular hair appointment!" and you are absolutely correct.

However,  I am completely gray at 44.  I found my first gray hair when I was 18 years old and the numbers have increased dramatically through the years.  Both of my parents' hair color, in their sixties, is just beginning to salt and pepper. I recently found out that my paternal great grandmother was fully gray in her thirties so apparently I got that bad gene.  I have been coloring my hair since my twenties, mostly myself with the box colors you find at the grocery store.  I started having it colored professionally when I had my children and mostly because a house with small children is NOT a conducive environment for hair dying, but also because the box brands just didn't appear as effective anymore since my hair is almost COMPLETELY gray.  I also have very thick hair and my natural color was dark, almost black, brown, which can be seen in my bathroom on the carpet, doors, and sink.

Every morning when I get dressed as I gaze upon my root line and it's increasing width, I am met with a lesson in humility.  I think about my great grandmother, Lena Broussard, and how she had to just deal with premature gray. Perhaps she even resolved herself to the conviction that, "This is the way God made me. This must be in His plan."  If I continue to dye my hair, am I missing opportunities to practice virtues? Immediately the virtue of humility comes to mind, but also patience when undoubtedly I'll have to graciously respond to the comment, "What beautiful grandchildren you have!" when they are, in fact, my own children.  I'm just not sure I am that strong or holy and I am ONLY 44.  Vanity O Vanities!!

So, family and friends, when you see me, whether my hair is gray or dyed, dark brown, please send up a prayer for me.  Either way, I am in desperate need of them.

5 comments:

  1. I understand your dilemma! I haven't had to go with a "full color" yet but I know it's coming!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Mary and Welcome! It is a very daunting decision to make and one which I have been discerning for quite some time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Trying to decide the same thing. I'm 46 and I don't know for sure how much will be gray-since I have colored (with the box mostly) for so long. I see the cool cropped gray haired young women and I think I wish I had that confidence !

    I do think if you are totally gray it will be very fetching and eye-catching with your young face. And you could ease out of the color with the boxed temp color and cut off the ends as you go.

    Heck, I Just need to get into the shower!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a friend at church who stopped coloring her hair one day when she went to see a friend in the hospital. She walked in and her normally brunette friend now skunk like in her appearance. The woman in the hospital had been there for a time (I don't remember why) and could not color her hair. My friend said she has not colored her hair since. She just kept thinking what if I end up in the hospital for an extended amount of time and can't color my hair! BTW, she has beautifully curly gray hair.

    I'm a new follower from Catholic Mothers Online. Please stop by and return the favor

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dye!

    I've been dying my own since I started going gray at 16. 16!!!!!!! Like you, I got my sweet grandmother's "totally gray in her thirties" gene.

    I like the me that I am when I like the way I look. It changes the way I carry myself and the way I greet the world. Is it shallow? Probably. Is it wrong? I don't think so. As long as all of your other responsibilities are taken care of before you break out the box, then I vote "go for it!"

    ReplyDelete